Thursday, May 01, 2008

Buying a home...more like buying a headache, but a good headache

posted by Knep-Star @ 11:52 AM   5 comments


OK. So, after months of searching for a place to live, and praying that I wouldn't end up homeless or have to rent a dumpy studio apartment month-to-month, I finally fond a home to buy!

I am set to close on in May 27th...which is coming up really fast. In the mean time, I've been putting together insurance, loans, inspections and all this other stuff that's boring but necessary.

This post is more of an advice column than anything...what I mean is, unless you're really serious about buying, have a really good team of attorneys and other consultants and know what you want, I do not advise going through this process for fun. If you do decide to buy (like our light-bulb room building friend, Dan Metz), I wish you the best.
Two best things about the place:
1. Exposed brick walls...a unqiue feature I saw in very few units I looked at.
2. It's close to other 208er Pat Hayden (and soon to be close to Dave and Maria when they move in July?!??)


Two worst things about the place:
1. It's a garden unit; I wanted a two bedroom--hard to find in my price range, so I had to make the sacrifice for my first buy
2. I don't have my own parking stall...this is an impossible thing to find in my price range and street parking is easy here, so again, another sacrifice.

Here's some pictures (obviously not my furniture):


Lastly, as I mentioned, I DO have another room that I'll be renting out. If you know anyone looking to move in the next couple months, send them my way--I'll give them a reasonable rent (heat included, 3 blocks from the brown line, and I have a washer/dryer)!
COME VISIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

At May 02, 2008 12:42 AM, Blogger P. Arty said...

Oooooh...looks pretty nice, and like I said that's in an awesome neighborhood...very close to Feed the Beast and whatnot.

Dave, you have to move close buy so we can all meet up in Lincoln Square. There are countless places that look like they would be fantastic to hang out in. DO IT.

 
At May 02, 2008 12:08 PM, Blogger Knep-Star said...

Burgers ALL AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At May 04, 2008 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,

That place is amazing and gorgeous, and quite frankly makes me wish I was moving to chicago so I could live in a place just like it.
well, it ALMOST makes me wish I was moving to chicago, but not quite enough to actually do it.
but it does make me wish Dan will take me to chicago sometime after May 27th so I can see it and bask in jealousy(that stove is to die for!)

congrats to you, and nice work,
sarah

 
At May 05, 2008 9:09 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Congratulations, Laura! Seriously, that place looks amazing. I'm psyched to come check it out.

Maria and I are still on board to move at the end of June (we actually just confirmed with our landlord that we're not staying). So look for a major down-turn in home values around July 1, Knepper!

But yeah, that'll be a lot of fun to have everyone finally within walking distance!

 
At May 05, 2008 7:55 PM, Blogger chris said...

EQUITY. Welcome to the club. SO MUCH EQUITY.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home