Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I-Pass & Toll Systems

posted by Knep-Star @ 4:01 PM   3 comments

This rant is mostly for Mootzy's benefit; however, some or probably most of you have felt the anguish before....


The Illinois Tollway is absurd. What should be an hour drive out of the city is actually two hours because of this state floating tax machine. Not only does it take more time, it takes more money. You've probably always wondered why Wisconsin highways (i.e. FREEways) are so pleasant. It is not because of the lovely rolling green hills or historic roadside barns...it is because it's free.

How much is the new fancy tollway costing my state??!! $5.3 billion dollaroonies. And to think, Illinois was going to sell (or maybe lease...) this fantastic asset it has to a private company. Don't they know that private companies are evil and cost regular people like you and me lots of money (let's not even get started with sweat shops...not to be confused with a tollway employee who stands in a little box collecting change for 10 hour shifts).

I wish I could say "I pass at I-Pass", but for now, I-Pass is my only time and money saver from the horrific change funnel.

By the way... come visit any time. The rolling green hills are particularly lovely here.

3 Comments:

At July 06, 2006 9:13 AM, Blogger Dan said...

The toll system is the dumbest thing ever thought of by anyone. The whole point of the highway was to improve efficiency by not stopping. So let's make everyone stop every 200 feet.

Then some other genius decided instead of getting rid of this stupid system that we should spend God knows how much money on an ipass system. So that 10% of the people now only have to slow down 5 mph. Wow, that’s a lot better.

Well done Illinois. It wasn't enough to take half my friends? You really needed that 60 cents and forty minutes of my life?

 
At July 07, 2006 10:26 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Yeah, the tolls blow hard. The iPass is the best purchase you can make if you are going to be on the Tollway ever again. (Sometimes you only have to slow down to 30 mph! Whoo!) It always blows my mind how much better the highways become the instant you pass into Wisconsin.

I'd say they probably make so much f'n money off of the tollway that spending a few billion dollars isn't a big deal. They could have left it how it was, at least the iPass tolling is better (it's SOOO much better with those new open road tolling things).

Also, Laura is totally lying; there are no hills in Chicago, period. Certianly no green and/or rolling ones.

 
At July 12, 2006 4:51 AM, Blogger Detrie said...

Hey guys, when you don't update often. i dont know what the hell is going on in your life. and as the past two months have proven. I'm way too lazy to write individual emails.


Dan, I wanna come home. just for a night please. or just Send me the office and arrested development and a giant cut-out of you. and peanut butter. oh, and my good jeans. my ass looks terrible in this country

 

Post a Comment

<< Home