Thursday, June 15, 2006

Trinidad and Tobago - The Greatest Team Since Tega and Sara

posted by Dan @ 12:39 AM   1 comments

Anyone who knows my roommate Marc knows that he loves soccer. So of course he was excited when the World Cup started this week. Anyone who knows me knows that I love TV. So of course I was happy to watch it with him.

While I'll always root for the US when they are on, I now have a new team I have decided to follow this World Cup - Trinidad and Tabago. This is Trinidad and Tabago's first year in the World Cup with reported odds of 1 to 2084*. They played Sweden this weekend and tied a zero to zero game. I couldn't believe I enjoyed a game that no one even scored a point in so much.


For those of you who don't know, if you win a game in the first round you get 3 points. If you tie you get 1. Sweden was expecting an easy win and didn't find it with Trinidad. They played hard (but not hard enough to score) and never gave up a goal. While Sweden was clearly disappointed with this outcome, Trinidad was not.


Trinidad Celebrating After the Game

I might have thought they won the game, or maybe the whole World Cup by the way the team and the fans acted after the game. I think they remind me of my intramural soccer team. We were underdogs every game and lost them all expect our last game. That game we tied it and celebrated like we won while the other team glared at us (I think we kept them from going to the playoffs). That, like the Trinidad and Sweden game was great. I know Trinidad and Tabago have an uphill battle in front of them, but I believe that they can do it. We'll find out today when they play England. I encourage you to join me tomorrow and support this great team. Because when you cheer for Trinidad and Tabago you are also cheering for our Junior year intramural team.



* I have no clue if this is true. I doubt it is. But either way they are underdogs.

1 Comments:

At June 15, 2006 8:59 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I completely agree; the TT v England game will be great. Have you heard that the TT government has promised every player / coach on the team a barrel of some specially aged rum if they beat England?

What a country!

P.S. That intermural game was fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home