Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What a Wookie

posted by caps @ 3:30 AM   2 comments

On Saturday I ventured to Disney's MGM Studios to partake in the festivities of my first Star Wars Weekend. Having high hopes of seeing Star Wars geeks dressed to the nines in their space duds, I was grossly disappointed. In my opinion, very few people came to represent their intergalactic hoods. At most I saw maybe 50 people dressed up and that includes the random guy wearing a belt with a lightsaber on it. These fans are not worthy of seeing the awesome wonder that would be Jedi Capsasaorus.
Young Padowans practicing their skills
Han Solo started his career smuggling from the Ewoks

The highlight of this trip had to be getting Peter Mayhew's (Chewbacca) autograph. I had him sign an action figure that I scowered about 5 different retailers to find. However, in the process, I think I pissed him off. Here are the details:

- I approach with the figure in my hands, saying a nice “Hello.”
- I hand him the figure and he proceeds to use a red sharpie to sign it. (I really wanted him to use a silver sharpie to sign the figure -because it would have matched the packaging and make it look nice/ cool)
- Before he gets the red marker to the plastic packaging, I ask him if he could sign it in silver instead.
- Upon hearing this he pauses. Instantly I knew I did something wrong, it seemed to me that he had paused for at least 5 seconds.
- Luckily he does not say anything, but he slowly puts down the red sharpie, picks up the silver, and signs the figure. While he does this he is visibly disturbed and I say “sorry.” He says nothing.
- After this I get my photo taken with him to prove the authenticity of the signature. Notice his expression in the photo. I am sure he was thinking Who is this American ungrateful enough to ask me to switch marker colors when I am about to sign something for him?


After the incident. I quickly left, not wanting to leave a lasting impression. Surely later that night he would justify my ignorance with the $56 he assumes I paid to get in the park that day. However, being an employee I did not have to pay. So in this case, I did not heed C-3PO's advice to let the Wookie win. However, having made this mistake, I will not be surprised if Chewbacca sneaks up behind me and rips my arms out of their sockets.

2 Comments:

At May 24, 2006 3:39 PM, Blogger chris said...

i bet he would have appreciated your star wars love more if you went as jedi capsasaurus...i'm just saying is all...

 
At May 24, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Haha, you made Chewy mad. If he was upset about having to change markers he was probably having a bad day already.

Is that guy gigantic?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home