Thursday, November 10, 2005

If you're out on your own...

posted by P. Arty @ 11:37 AM   5 comments

Gilmore Girls probably saved my life.

This episode featured the best out-of-episode moment since the scuffle in the kitchen between Mootzgerino and myself. Within seconds of pushing the play button on the TiVo remote, Metzger and I were in an intense shouting match. I don't think either of us were shouting at each other, or even responding to what the other person was saying.

When we saw Jess on the "Previously on Gilmore Girls," Mootz's reaction was to instantly shout, "No! Dear God no! NO!" Whereas, I proceded to shout, "Nothing will ever make me as happy as I am right now! Well done Amy Sherman-Palladino!" (Note: Daniel Palladino actually wrote this episode, but I didn't know that at the time.) This continued for at least two minutes.

Best episode I can remember. I might have to stop watching the "Previously on," as it totally ruined the surprise of Jess' arrival. I also saw Milo Ventimiglia's name on the opening credits, so the "Previously On" was not the only blame. Seeing his name reminded me of the good old days of Six Feet Under, when I would have to close my eyes during the opening credits so I wouldn't see "Richard Jenkins as Nathaniel Fischer." It was always so much sweeter when I didn't know it was coming, even though I always managed to peak at exactly the perfect moment to ruin my plan.

Anyway, Jess is officially my favorite character of the show. Seriously. Once again, Jess pops into Rory's life and gives her exactly what she needs. He's like the Oracle from the Matrix movies.

"I told you exactly what you need to hear, Rory."

I am literally in love with the scene between he and Rory outside the restaurant, after he called new Tristan "the blonde dick at Yale" (nice!). You take everything HDR, The ZZZ, and I would want to say to her, subtract "Good God, you're so hot," and you get Jess' half of the dialogue. It felt sooooo good.

I loved the theme of inadequate substitution that each of the three Gilmore Girls experienced in this episode. My favorite example of this was Lorelai's crying in Rory's bedroom over "the dog." This was nearly of Six Feet Under quality. It would have reached the limit of perfection (Six Feet Under quality) had they kept the subtlty, which was lost as Lorelai claims she's a "bad mother." Still, that scene was genius. Similarly, Rory can't substitute her grandmother for Lorelai or her new life with new Tristen and the DAR for what she really wants (read: Yale + Jess). Emily can't substitute Rory for Lorelai.

Also, the soccer plot was great. The only imperfection of this episode was the soccer game, in my opinion. I just didn't like how this was done. However, the conversation at the second of Luke's tables full of kids of this season definitely made up for it. "She went one way and her knee went the other!"

All in all, my favorite of the season. If Gilmore Girls would be this good everytime they took a week off, I would welcome the new bi-weekly schedule (or does that mean twice a week?).

Well done, Daniel Palladino.

5 Comments:

At November 10, 2005 1:38 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Yes, I'm glad you finally watched it. FAN-TAS-TIC. I've watched that scene outside the diner a few times already. I'm tingling with anticipation again.

"You're acting more like your mother every day!" -Emily
"And you're acting more like my mother's mother every day!" -Rory

 
At November 10, 2005 4:09 PM, Blogger Dave said...

This picture disturbs me every time I open the blog.

 
At November 10, 2005 5:33 PM, Blogger P. Arty said...

Yeah, your "first" homosexual tendencies will do that to you.

ZING A LING DING DONG!

 
At November 10, 2005 10:08 PM, Blogger Dan said...

First, I never liked Jess but he scored some major points last night. Well done Jess. Also I can't wait to watch this with Dave and Pat again at 3:30am after getting back from the bars. It will be just like the good old days.

 
At November 11, 2005 11:34 AM, Blogger P. Arty said...

Pish posh, you ninny.

Glad you liked the picture. Did you see the episode? Stellar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home