Friday, September 30, 2005

Quit staring at my wife's ass; I bet you don't even play the drums!

posted by P. Arty @ 10:28 AM   0 comments

Last night I saw the best concert ever. This statement packs some punch, because I don't say it often.


No "cage" can confine the Mates of State's love.

In all seriousness, Mates of State was excellent. Definitely not the best concert I've ever seen, or even the best I've seen them, but it was fun. Whereas I felt like I was dreaming during the entire Sigur Ros show, during Mates of State I felt completely awake and alive. I'm pretty sure I was smiling the entire time, especially when Metzger got up on stage and danced with the female Mate.

There's much to love about their live show: the "surprised" faces they make during "unexpected" pauses or keyboard fills, the fact that the male Mate is one of the most creative and original drummers around, the way they can produce as full a sound with only two people as most bands can with four or more. But undoubtedly the best part about seeing Mates of State is the feeling of warmth you get from watching this husband and wife do what they love with who they love. It's impossible to deny the concept of true love after seeing these guys. Not only do their voices and playing styles perfectly complement each other, as if they were truly meant for each other, but their eyes quickly dart back to each other any time they have a break in their singing duties, as if they were truly meant for each other.

Every previous time I've seen Mates of State (with the obvious exception of the first time) I would tell myself that I've seen them and that their gimmick won't have the same effect, but every time I fall in love with them. This time I went in with high expectations, and they were met once again.

Well done, Mates of State. Well done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home